Roasted Vegetables with Fresh Herbs
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
When roasting winter vegetables, Melissa Rubel Jacobson says be sure to chop them about the same size, so they cook at the same rate. And toss them at least once while they're in the oven, so they brown evenly. Other creative ideas for roasted vegetables are Spiced Vegetables with Pomegranate Seeds and Maple-Ginger-Roasted Vegetables with Pecans.
- 4 medium carrots (3/4 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 2 large parsnips (1 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 medium head cauliflower (2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds)—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 sage leaves
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Two 6-inch rosemary sprigs, cut into 2-inch lengths
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with the olive oil, sage, thyme and rosemary and season generously with salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and roast for about 55 minutes, tossing once halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and golden. Scrape into a bowl and serve hot or at room temperature.