Roasted Vegetables with Aioli
- SERVINGS: 4
Drizzle vegetables with olive oil, roast them in the oven until tender, and serve—what could be simpler? With a garlicky, lemon-tinged mayonnaise sauce, you have a feast.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into approximately 4-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 5 carrots, cut into approximately 2 1/2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- Heat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the lemon juice, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Put the potatoes and carrots on a large baking sheet and toss them with 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spread the vegetables out in a single layer and roast them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the bell-pepper strips on a second large baking sheet and toss them with 1 teaspoon of the oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt. After 15 minutes, take the first pan out of the oven and turn the vegetables with a spatula. Put both pans in the oven and roast for 5 minutes. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Put the asparagus on the pan with the peppers. Roast until all the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes longer. Serve the roasted vegetables and hard-cooked eggs with the aioli.
Plenty of other vegetables lend themselves to roasting. Try wedges of sweet potato or fennel, whole scallions or mushrooms, or halved Brussels sprouts.
Roasted vegetables and pungent aioli are best partnered with a fairly neutral-flavored, high-acid wine with some body. Italy's Collio region produces delicious Pinot Grigios that perfectly match that description.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.