Roasted Vegetable Tarts
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 medium eggplant (about 12 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium Portobello mushrooms, caps only, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces Roquefort or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 prepared pie crusts, not in tins (15-ounce package)
- Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 450°. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- In a large roasting pan, toss the eggplant, mushrooms, shallots, red bell pepper and zucchini with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for 12 to 14 minutes, stirring once or twice, until softened.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the Roquefort and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the egg and Parmesan; beat until blended.
- Place 1 pie crust on each baking sheet, unfold and pinch together any tears. Divide the cheese mixture between the crusts and spread it out, leaving a 2-inch border of dough. Arrange the roasted vegetables on top. Fold the dough up to partially cover the filling, crimping to seal the edges. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden, reversing the pans halfway through cooking. Serve the vegetable tarts warm.
Match the earthy tastes here with an herbal Australian Cabernet Sauvignon.