- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves, plus 3 sprigs, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, plus 8 sprigs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 5-pound boneless veal loin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 24 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- Pickled Golden Raisins, for serving
In a small bowl, combine the rosemary leaves, thyme leaves and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Set the veal in a baking dish and rub with the herb oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. One hour before roasting, remove the veal from the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the veal well with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until almost smoking. Add the veal and sear over high heat until well-browned all over, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat. Arrange the rosemary and thyme sprigs on the roast and top with the butter. Scatter the garlic around the meat. Roast for about 1 hour, basting with the butter, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 140°. Remove the veal from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
Slice the veal 1/4 inch thick and arrange on a platter. Pile the roasted garlic alongside. Spoon the pan juices over the veal and serve with the Pickled Golden Raisins.