- 1 pound seedless red grapes
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 1-inch-thick veal rib chops (about 1/2 pound each)
- Preheat the oven to 500°. On a sturdy rimmed baking sheet, toss the grapes with the vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and the sugar; season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 minutes, shaking the baking sheet halfway through, until the grapes are hot and the pan is sizzling.
- Rub the veal chops with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and season with salt and pepper. Push the grapes to one side of the baking sheet. Add the veal chops and roast for about 5 minutes, or until sizzling underneath. Turn the chops and roast for 5 minutes longer for medium-rare meat. Transfer the veal chops to a platter, scrape the grapes and juices on top and serve.
A Super-Tuscan blend will balance the sweet-and-sour intensity of this full-flavored dish. Another possibility is a rich Syrah.