- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 small onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound penne or farfalle
- 1 cup coarsely shredded ricotta salata cheese (3 ounces)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Pour 1/4 cup of the olive oil into a large roasting pan. Add the tomatoes, onions and garlic and toss to coat with the oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper and roast for about 50 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and starting to brown and the juices have begun to thicken.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the penne until al dente; drain. Add the penne to the roasting pan, toss and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with the ricotta salata and serve.
A straightforward, medium-bodied red with good acidity, such as a fresh, young Chianti Classico, will complement the concentrated flavors of the roasted tomatoes.