- 4 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes
- Boiling water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 275°. Make a shallow X on the bottom of the tomatoes and transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Pour the boiling water over the tomatoes and let stand for 1 minute. Drain, peel, halve lengthwise and seed the tomatoes. Return the tomatoes to the bowl. Toss with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the tomatoes, cut sides up, on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until leathery, about 3 hours. Let the tomatoes cool slightly.
- In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes with the basil until coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper.
The compote can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.