Roasted Sweet Potato and Onion Salad
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 pounds medium sweet potatoes—peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 5 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 6 small yellow onions (1 1/4 pounds), sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 pound arugula
- Preheat the oven to 375°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes, thyme, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and salt. Spread in an even layer and roast for 30 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron skillet, mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the vinegar, honey and molasses; season with salt. Spread the onion slices in the skillet and bake until browned, about 20 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Reserve the juices in the skillet.
- In a small saucepan, toast the cumin seeds and crushed pepper over moderate heat. Transfer to a spice mill and let cool; grind to a powder. In the same pan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden.
- Set the reserved skillet over moderate heat, add the garlic, garlic oil, orange juice and spices and simmer for 5 minutes, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom; season with salt. Mound the arugula on plates and top with the sweet potatoes and onions. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.