- Two 2 1/2-pound butternut squash, preferably organic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 450°. Slice the squash crosswise 1 inch thick; scrape out any seeds. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets and arrange the squash slices on them. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until just tender.
Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the vinegar, onion, oregano, garlic and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the warm squash and let stand for 20 minutes.
Arrange the squash on plates, sprinkle with the mint leaves and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours.