- Lemon slices or wedges, for serving
- 3/4 cup Puy lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, shredded
- Freshly ground pepper
- Four 4-ounce skinless salmon fillets
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils with the carrot, onion, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of the garlic and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add enough cold water to reach 2 inches above the lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape, about 25 minutes. Drain well. Transfer the lentils to a bowl and discard the bay leaf; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, halve the bell peppers lengthwise and remove the cores. Arrange the peppers on a baking sheet, cut side down, and broil for 8 minutes, or until the skin blisters and begins to char. Transfer the bell peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 5 minutes. Peel the peppers and cut them into 1/8-inch dice; transfer to a bowl. Decrease the oven temperature to 425°.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon and orange zests with the lemon and orange juices. Add the remaining garlic, then slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the lentils and toss gently. Stir in the diced peppers, sherry vinegar and 3 tablespoons of the mint. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and set it on a baking sheet, skinned side down. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just cooked through. Transfer the salmon to plates and spoon the lentil salad alongside. Garnish with the remaining mint and serve with lemon slices.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.