Roasted Salmon, Beets, and Potatoes with Horseradish Cream
- SERVINGS: 4
Beets and potatoes roast alongside each other in the same pan. Wait until they're cooked to toss them together, though, or you'll end up with bright-pink potatoes. A fillet of salmon roasts at the same oven temperature, and a drizzle of creamy horseradish sauce tops them all.
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
- Heat the oven to 450°. In a large roasting pan, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the dill, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook in the upper third of the oven, stirring once, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and push the beets to one side. Add the potatoes to the pan, next to the beets, and toss them with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Return the pan to the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Stir the potatoes and beets, keeping them separate; return the pan to the oven.
- Meanwhile, oil a baking sheet. Put the salmon on the baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon dill, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Put the pan in the oven with the vegetables (after you stir them at the end of Step 2). Cook until just done, about 10 minutes for 1-inch fillets.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the cream just to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the horseradish, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Stir the beets and the potatoes together. Serve the vegetables topped with the salmon and the horseradish sauce.
In the Pacific Northwest, where they really know their seafood, Pinot Noir is the wine of choice with salmon. It should be yours, too. Try a fruity example from Oregon or California.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.