Roasted Root Vegetable Crostini with Basil Pesto
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
For a simple, sophisticated hors d'oeuvre, Fabio Trabocchi tops crisp toasts with a bright basil pesto, caramelized Jerusalem artichokes and parsnips and warm Fontina, a cow's-milk cheese from Italy's Valle d'Aosta region that melts beautifully.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, plus 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3/4 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 cups)
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Ten 1/2-inch-thick slices of rustic white bread
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 pound imported Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a food processor, combine the pine nuts with the Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino Romano, smashed garlic clove and 3/4 cup of the olive oil and pulse until smooth. Add the basil and pulse until finely chopped. Season the pesto with salt and pepper.
- In a roasting pan, toss the Jerusalem artichokes with the parsnips, thyme sprigs, garlic head and the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden. Discard the garlic and thyme; stir in the vinegar.
- Meanwhile, arrange the bread slices on a large baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Spread each toast with a rounded tablespoon of the pesto. Top with the roasted vegetables and Fontina. Broil for about 1 minute, until the cheese is just melted. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.