© Con Poulos
Roasted Romaine with Pine Nut Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Pablo Montero creates a savory dressing with toasted pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and olive oil.
Slideshows: More Salad Dressings
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced kalamata or other black olives
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 large romaine hearts
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- Kosher salt
- Shaved Pico Melero or Manchego cheese, for serving
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar with the sun-dried tomatoes, olives and the 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Brush the romaine hearts all over with olive oil and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread the pine nuts in a pie plate. Roast the romaine and pine nuts for about 13 minutes, tossing the nuts occasionally, until the lettuce is browned in spots and the nuts are golden.
- In a mortar, finely crush the pine nuts. Stir into the vinaigrette and season with kosher salt. Transfer the romaine to a work surface. Cut the hearts in half lengthwise, transfer to a platter and spoon the vinaigrette on top. Scatter shaved cheese over the romaine and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve right away.
Try it with a Sauvignon Blanc or a Verdejo.