- 4 mild medium red or green Italian frying peppers (about 1 pound)
- 4 anchovies, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorn
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- Four 1/2-pound cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. Roast the peppers as close to the heat as possible for about 10 minutes, turning, until charred and blistered all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover and let cool. Lower the oven temperature to 400°.
- Peel the peppers and cut them into thin strips; discard the cores and seeds. In a mortar, crush the anchovies to a coarse paste with the garlic, peppercorns and salt. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the olive oil, capers and roasted peppers.
- Arrange the cod on a baking sheet and spread the pepper mixture evenly over each fillet. Roast the cod for about 10 minutes, or until the flesh flakes easily. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges on the side.
The fish is mild, but the peppers, anchovies and capers aren't. Pair the dish with a round, ripe California Chardonnay.