- 5 large red bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1 can anchovy fillets (3 ounces), drained and minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 24-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup black olive tapenade from a jar
- 20 basil leaves
How to make this recipe
Roast the red peppers over a gas flame until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool. Discard the skin and seeds and quarter the peppers. In a bowl, toss the peppers with the garlic, thyme, rosemary and about one-fourth of the anchovies and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the red peppers overnight.
Light a grill. Toast the baguettes over a hot fire, cut sides down. Spread the bottom halves of the baguettes with the tapenade. Top with the marinated peppers and their juices, basil leaves and the remaining anchovies. Close the sandwiches and cut into 12 pieces. Wrap in napkins; serve.
The marinated peppers can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.