Roasted Red-Pepper Coulis
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 2 cups
By roasting and peeling the red peppers before pureeing them, Rollie Wesen boosts the flavor of the sauce and eliminates the step of having to strain out the papery skins.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Roast the red peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool completely. Peel the peppers and discard the skins, seeds and cores. Coarsely chop the peppers.
- In a food processor, combine the peppers with the olive oil, shallot and vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season the coulis with salt and white pepper.
Make AheadThe red-pepper coulis can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.