- 3 large red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Roast the red peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool completely. Peel the peppers and discard the skins, seeds and cores. Coarsely chop the peppers.
- In a food processor, combine the peppers with the olive oil, shallot and vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season the coulis with salt and white pepper.
The red-pepper coulis can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.