Roasted Peppers with Caper Dressing
- SERVINGS: 4
A plate of red and yellow bell peppers tossed with a tangy dressing pleases both the eye and the palate. You can use peppers of only one color, if you prefer, or include an orange and a green bell pepper for a truly spectacular effect.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Roast the peppers over a gas flame or grill or broil them, turning with tongs, until charred all over, about 10 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, pull off the skin. Remove the stems, seeds, and ribs. Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips.
- In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, using a fork, stir together the lemon juice, anchovy paste, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir in the oil. Add the peppers and capers and toss.
Use halved and pitted olives in addition to or instead of the capers.
Add a sprinkling of chopped fresh basil.
Toss in a chopped tomato.
Use three chopped anchovy fillets instead of the paste.
Add a small can of drained tuna.
Shortcut To roast the peppers quickly and with little mess, stand them upright and cut the flesh from each of the four sides, leaving the stem, seeds, and core behind. Put the peppers on an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet, cut-side down, and broil until charred. Peel off the blackened skin.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.