Roasted Pepper and Tomato Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
Every country in the Middle East makes a variation of this salad. This simple recipe is an Egyptian version.
- 4 red or green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- Preheat the broiler. Roast the bell peppers under the broiler for about 10 minutes, or until charred all over. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for about 10 minutes. Peel the peppers and discard the stems and seeds. Cut the peppers into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Return the peppers to the bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil, put in a baking dish and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the cloves are soft. Let cool slightly, then peel.
- Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a platter and season with salt. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the peppers and garlic over the tomatoes. Spoon the vinaigrette over the top, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Make Ahead This dish can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead.