- 5 red, orange or yellow bell peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Four 3/4-inch-thick slices of rustic or sourdough boule (12 ounces), cut in half on the diagonal and toasted
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, brush the peppers and garlic all over with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt. Roast for about 30 minutes, until softened and browned in spots. Transfer the peppers and garlic to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam until cooled, about 30 minutes; peel the garlic.
- Peel, stem and seed the peppers. In a food processor, combine the roasted peppers with the roasted garlic and puree until smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil until incorporated. Season the puree with salt. Spread the pepper puree on the toasts, garnish with parsley and serve.
The pepper-garlic puree can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.