- 2 pounds red pearl onions
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 thin baguette, preferably onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the pearl onions and blanch for 30 seconds; drain and let cool slightly. Peel the pearl onions and trim off the roots.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the onions for about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they are caramelized and softened.
- Meanwhile, brush a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Arrange the baguette slices on the sheet; brush with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the slices and bake for 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is crisp; transfer to a platter.
- Sprinkle the onions with the vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Mound the onions on the cheese toasts and serve warm or at room temperature.