Roasted Peaches with Mascarpone Ice Cream
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
"Every house has an herb garden," says Daniel Humm of Ticino, the southern region of Switzerland. Accordingly, he infuses roasted peaches with honey-rosemary syrup. The mascarpone in the ice cream reveals the strong Italian influence on Ticino's cuisine.
More Fruit Desserts
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup mascarpone (7 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 large, ripe but firm peaches—peeled, halved and pitted
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup of the sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the milk with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the sugar and bring to a simmer. Slowly beat the warm milk into the egg yolks at low speed. Scrape the custard into the saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes; don't let the custard boil.
- Pour the custard into a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice water and whisk in the mascarpone, lemon juice and salt. Let stand until chilled, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the mascarpone ice cream to an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, combine the white wine, honey, water and sugar and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Add the rosemary sprig and let stand for 10 minutes; discard the rosemary.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the peaches in an 8-by-11-inch baking dish. Pour the rosemary syrup on top and roast the peaches until tender, 40 minutes, basting and turning the peaches occasionally.
- Scoop the mascarpone ice cream into bowls and top with the peach halves. Spoon the warm poaching liquid over the fruit and serve right away.