Roasted Hot Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Sausages roasted on a bed of peppers and onions makes a great main course or a terrific topping for pasta.
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 8 hot Italian sausages (1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Thinly sliced basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large roasting pan, toss the bell peppers with the onions, tomatoes, olive oil and crushed red pepper and season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°. Add the garlic, thyme sprigs, capers and oregano to the roasting pan and stir them in. Nestle the sausages into the vegetables. Using a sharp knife, prick the sausages in a few places. Roast for 20 minutes, until the sausages are cooked through and browned in spots. Stir in the vinegar, sprinkle with the basil and serve.
Serve WithCrusty bread.