Roasted Halibut with Vegetables en Papillote
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Cooking halibut and vegetables en papillote (in paper) with a little bit of sherry preserves all the flavor of the delicate fish and the crisp-tender asparagus, sugar snaps and carrots, with only a little fat.
- 2 medium carrots, cut into straws
- 3/4 pound thin asparagus, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless halibut fillet (about 1 1/2 inches thick), cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a saucepan of boiling water, cook the carrots for 1 minute. Add the asparagus and sugar snaps and cook until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Drain and spread on a plate to cool.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook over moderately high heat, stirring until softened, 7 minutes. Transfer to the plate; let cool slightly.
- Heat 2 large, sturdy baking sheets in the oven. Lay out eight 14-inch-long sheets of parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Mound some of the vegetables on half of each sheet. Set the fillets on the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Fold each packet in half, then fold up 2 sides to seal, leaving 1 side open. In a small bowl, combine the stock and sherry; spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons into each packet. Fold up the last side, sealing tightly.
- Transfer the packets to the preheated baking sheets. Bake for 9 minutes, until the fish is cooked through. Open the packets and transfer the fish, vegetables and broth to plates. Serve at once.
Bridge all the flavors in the first two courses with an assertive, minerally white such as Alsace Pinot Gris.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.