Roasted Halibut with Green Olive Sauce
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
Barak Hirschowitz was inspired by the award-winning olive oil from Morgenster Estate to make this sauce for South Africa's kingklip fish. Kingklip is an eel-like, prehistoric-looking monster, which can weigh in at up to 60 pounds, with sweet, meaty flesh. Halibut lacks the fierce appearance but has a similar taste.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Six 7-ounce skinless halibut fillets
- 1 cup fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 6 whole white peppercorns, plus freshly ground white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup green olives, such as Picholine, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large, shallow dish, mix 2 tablespoons of the lime juice with the olive oil. Add the halibut fillets and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, combine the fish stock, wine, shallot, white peppercorns, bay leaf and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Boil over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Add the cream, bring to a boil and simmer over moderately low heat until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Strain the sauce into a small saucepan.
- Season the halibut fillets with salt and white pepper and transfer them to a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the upper third of the oven until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the olives to the cream sauce and bring to a boil. Pour in any accumulated fish juices. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the butter until incorporated. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and white pepper. Set the halibut fillets on warmed plates, spoon the sauce on top and serve.
A racy South African Sauvignon Blanc will add another bright note to the tangy olive-lime butter.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.