© John Kernick
Roasted Fennel Salad with Bagna Cauda Dressing
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Bagna cauda, the Italian anchovy dip, inspired the dressing here.
Slideshow: Fantastic Fennel Recipes
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (2 pounds)—halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- One 2-ounce can anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large head of radicchio, shredded
- 2 heads of Belgian endives, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a pie plate, toast the walnuts for about 5 minutes, until golden and coarsely chop
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On one baking sheet, toss the fennel with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on the second baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Turn the potatoes cut side down. Roast the fennel and potatoes for about 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until the vegetables are golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, in a mini food processor, pulse the anchovies with the capers, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice until finely chopped. With the machine on, drizzle in the cooled butter and the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and puree until smooth. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel and potatoes with the radicchio, endives and three-fourths of the dressing; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salad to a platter and garnish with the walnuts. Serve the remaining dressing on the side.