- 1 medium fennel bulb, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fresh red chiles, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 pounds cockles or littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss the fennel with the onion and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a large, ovenproof skillet, arrange the vegetables in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes, until the onions and fennel are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Add the chiles and garlic to the skillet and stir to distribute evenly. Add the wine and clams and roast for 10 minutes or until the clams open. Season the clams with salt and pepper, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Tip: Use any leftovers as a topping for whole-wheat pasta or polenta. Tip: Substitute mussels for the clams. Tip: If you don’t like spice, swap sliced sweet red pepper for the chilies. One serving: 332 cal, 10 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 31 gm carb, 2.5 gm fiber, 22 gm protein.