Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Bruschetta
- SERVINGS: Makes 36
The Upper Crust in New York City suggests these guilt-free hors d°oeuvres.
Satisfying Vegetarian Recipes
- 1 French baguette, cut into 36 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 halved garlic cloves
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 large seeded, diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Cut a French baguette into 36 1/4-inch-thick slices and brush lightly with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toast in a 350° oven for about 7 minutes until golden. Rub the toasts with 2 halved garlic cloves.
- Lightly coat 2 large baking sheets with vegetable oil cooking spray. Slice 1 medium eggplant lengthwise 1/4 inch thick and arrange the slices on 2 baking sheets. Brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 minutes, until softened. Cut the eggplant into 1/2 -inch dice and transfer to a large bowl. Add 1 large seeded, diced ( 1/4 inch) tomato, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 12 shredded fresh basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mound the eggplant-tomato mixture on the garlic-rubbed toasts and serve.
NotesOne hors d'oeuvre: Calories 42 kcal, Total Fat 1.8 gm, Saturated Fat .3 gm.