Roasted Chicken with Walnut-Arugula Pesto
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Gail Hobbs-Page, the cook at Best of What's Around farm, is always looking for creative ways to prepare poultry now that BOWA is breeding its own chickens. She might dress up roasted chicken with a luxurious basil-free pesto of arugula, walnuts and Manchego cheese.
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Walnut-Arugula Pesto
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken, garlic, shallots, lemon zest and juice, thyme, parsley, olive oil and wine; season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Set a rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove the chicken from the marinade, scraping off the solids. Arrange the chicken on the rack, skin side up. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the skin is golden and crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a thigh registers 165°. Transfer the chicken to a platter and serve with the Walnut-Arugula Pesto.
Viognier grows well in Virginia, partly because the grape clusters are very loosea help against mildew in the damp summer months. Its creamy texture is perfect with this lush pesto-dressed chicken.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.