Roasted Chicken Legs with Garlic Potatoes and Peppers
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Star Ingredient: Mr. Garden Grilled Mixed Peppers with Garlic
Marinated bottled peppers are an enormous time-saver because they have already been roasted, peeled, seeded, sliced and mixed with chopped garlic and herbs. They bring a rich and complex flavor to this super-simple chicken dish.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Two 19-ounce jars roasted peppers marinated in oil with garlic and herbs, drained, peppers cut into large pieces, 6 tablespoons of the garlic-herb marinade reserved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole chicken legs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Lightly oil a large roasting pan. Add the potatoes, peppers, 3 tablespoons of the reserved garlic-herb marinade, the olive oil and thyme to the roasting pan. Season with salt and ground pepper and toss well to coat the potatoes and peppers.
- Make 3 or 4 deep slashes in each chicken leg and set them on top of the vegetables. Rub the remaining 3 tablespoons of garlic-herb marinade all over the chicken and into the slashes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 10 minutes, stirring the vegetables once or twice, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes and peppers are tender and crispy in spots. Transfer to a platter and serve.
A light, tart red will complement the sweet peppers here. Consider a Chianti Classico.