Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Lentils and Dates
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Main-course salads are perfect for light dinners; this one—with nourishing lentils, almonds and plenty of spice-roasted cauliflower—is delicious and satisfying.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup beluga or green lentils, rinsed
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch florets
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of cayenne
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 10 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach or arugula
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop. Increase the oven temperature to 425°.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the lentils with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender, 20 minutes. Drain well and let cool.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower with the 1/4 cup of olive oil and the cumin, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, turning, until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown.
- In a large bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice, honey, the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add the lentils and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Scrape the roasted cauliflower into the bowl and add the toasted almonds, dates, onion and spinach. Toss the salad, transfer to a platter and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.