Roasted Carrot and Red Quinoa Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
Anna Zepaltas grew up preparing tamales in her mother’s Southern California kitchen, but she also loves Indian and Middle Eastern dishes. Cumin, coriander and cardamom punch up this salad, inspired by a favorite dish at Chloé’s French Café in Santa Rosa, California.
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small bowl, whisk the paprika with the turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, cardamom and 1 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. In a medium bowl, toss the carrots with the onion and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add 1 tablespoon of the spice mix and toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tender.
- Meanwhile, spread the walnuts in a pie plate and bake for about 7 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 teaspoons of the spice mix and the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 17 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of the oil with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and season with salt and black pepper. Add the salad greens and toss to coat. Spread the greens on a large platter. In the same bowl, whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and the zest, mustard and 1 teaspoon of the spice mix; season with salt. Add the quinoa, walnuts, cranberries, parsley and roasted vegetables and toss well. Spoon the quinoa salad on the greens and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.