Roasted Carrot and Cumin Puree
- SERVINGS: 4
Roasting carrots until they are golden brown brings out their sweetness and provides a perfect foil for tart lemon juice and musky cumin. Our silken puree is a particularly good side dish for lamb and also for roasted chicken.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots (about 8 large), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 450°. In a roasting pan, combine the carrots with the oil, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Roast the carrots, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree the carrots with the butter, milk, lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. If necessary, reheat the puree in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring.