© Fran Gealer
Roasted Carrot and Butternut Squash Cannelloni
- SERVINGS: 4
You can use any good-quality white or green fresh pasta sheets for this vegetable-rich cannelloni. Look for the thinnest sheets possible and trim them to size with a sharp knife.
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice (2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 pound chanterelle mushrooms, thickly sliced if large
- One 3/4-pound bunch of Swiss chard, leaves only, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 24 small sage leaves
- Eight 4-inch-square store-bought fresh pasta sheets (4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. On a large, rimmed nonstick baking sheet, toss the carrots and squash with the garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for about 20 minutes, tossing once or twice, until golden and tender. Turn the oven down to 350°.
- Transfer the garlic cloves to a small bowl and mash them with the back of a fork. Scrape the remaining vegetables into a medium bowl and coarsely mash them. Stir 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the nutmeg into the mashed vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil until shimmering. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and chicken stock and cook, stirring frequently, until the greens are tender and the liquid in the pan has reduced to a few tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Stir in the mashed garlic and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add half of the sage leaves and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining sage leaves.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta sheets and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and shake off any excess water. Lay each sheet on a work surface and pat dry. Spoon 2 1/2 tablespoons of the mashed carrots and squash into the center of each pasta sheet. Roll the pasta around the filling to form logs. Place the cannelloni, seam side down, in a small baking dish. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the cannelloni for about 5 minutes, or until golden and heated through. Spoon the chanterelles and chard in the center of large plates and top with the cannelloni. Garnish with the crisp sage leaves and serve.
Make AheadThe recipe can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated overnight.
NotesOne Serving Calories 256 kcal, Total Fat 13.3 gm, Saturated Fat 4.4 gm, Protein 9 gm, Carbohydrates 29 gm.