Roasted Butternut Squash Quinoa
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Quinoa is considered a superfood because of its nutritional value, but it's also an incredibly versatile base for just about any flavor profile. This surprisingly-sweet quinoa dish with butternut squash, brown butter, and sage screams fall, but you’ll want to eat it all year long.
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring the quinoa, shallot, water, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the quinoa has fully absorbed the water, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. (If serving cold, chill the quinoa in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before tossing with the other ingredients.)
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Toss the squash with one tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on large baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until slightly browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, place butter in medium sauté pan and melt over moderately high heat, swirling the pan continuously until the butter begins to foam and just begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the sage, swirling for another 30 seconds.
- In a serving bowl, toss the quinoa with the butternut squash, and sage brown butter, and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.