- 4 pounds brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. On 2 large rimmed baking sheets, toss the brussels sprouts with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the sprouts are tender and browned in spots.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, maple syrup, ginger and orange zest. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the cranberries break down and thicken, about 10 minutes.
In a medium skillet, cook the butter over moderately high heat until deep golden, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the shallot and thyme and stir into the cranberry sauce. Transfer the butter to a bowl, add the brussels sprouts and toss. Season with salt and serve.
The cranberry brown butter can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Gently reheat the butter before tossing with the brussels sprouts.