© Fredrika Stjärne
Roasted Beets with Pistachios, Herbs and Orange
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
- 3 pounds medium beets, preferably a mix of colors
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Arrange the beets in a roasting pan and add the cinnamon, bay leaves and water. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until the beets are tender; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool; discard the liquid and spices.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, tarragon, parsley, chives and oil; season with salt.
- Peel and trim the beets and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the beet slices in overlapping rows on a platter. Stir the herb dressing and spoon it over the beets. Scatter the pistachios and celery leaves on top and serve.
The beets and dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight; return to room temperature before proceeding.