Roasted Beets with Hazelnuts and Goat Cheese
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 16 to 20
Instead of using fresh goat cheese with sweet roasted beets, this salad is made with a deeply flavored aged goat cheese
- 5 1/2 pounds medium beets (about 20)
- 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped chives or scallions
- Shaved aged goat cheese, like Midnight Moon or Garrotxa, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large roasting pan, toss the beets with 1/4 cup of the oil and the garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the beets are tender. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into different sized wedges, chunks and slices
- Meanwhile, spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and bake for about 12 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and let cool slightly, then rub them together in the towel to remove the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the shallot and mustard and let stand for 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1 cup of olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with half of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the beets on a platter and sprinkle the chives and hazelnuts on top. Scatter shaved goat cheese over the salad and serve, passing the additional dressing and cheese at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.