- 5 1/2 pounds medium beets (about 20)
- 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped chives or scallions
- Shaved aged goat cheese, like Midnight Moon or Garrotxa, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large roasting pan, toss the beets with 1/4 cup of the oil and the garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the beets are tender. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into different sized wedges, chunks and slices
- Meanwhile, spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and bake for about 12 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and let cool slightly, then rub them together in the towel to remove the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the shallot and mustard and let stand for 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1 cup of olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with half of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the beets on a platter and sprinkle the chives and hazelnuts on top. Scatter shaved goat cheese over the salad and serve, passing the additional dressing and cheese at the table.
The roasted beets can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before proceeding. The lemon-shallot dressing can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.