Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News Beets are packed with folate and potassium, and the red ones deliver lots of cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- 4 beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb with frondsbulb cut into 1/2-inch wedges, 1 tablespoon chopped fronds
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium baking dish, toss the beets with the thyme, the water and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and cook for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool slightly. Discard the thyme.
- In a small baking dish, drizzle the fennel wedges with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until tender and lightly browned.
- Pour the beet juices into a bowl and whisk in the vinegar. Add the beets, fennel wedges and fronds and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.