© Simon Watson
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
A surprise ingredient—a puree of the squat Italian cipollini onion—thickens and sweetens the mustard dressing on this wintry salad of earthy roasted red beets and chunks of silky avocado.
More Great Salads
- 4 medium beets (about 1/2 pound each), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cipollini onion, finely chopped, or 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet Spanish or white onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil or other mild vegetable oil
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small baking dish, rub the beets with olive oil. Add the water and season with salt and white pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the chopped onion with the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and honey. Season with salt and white pepper and blend until smooth. With the machine on, add the grapeseed oil and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a steady stream.
- Add the avocado to the roasted beets. Pour the onion dressing on top and toss gently to combine. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.
Make AheadThe roasted beets and dressing can be refrigerated overnight.