Roasted Banana-and-Macadamia Pudding Cake
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9-by-13-inch cake
"With the English influence here in Kenya, there's a huge amount of pudding," explains Hubert Des Marais of this equatorial spin on the classic British dessert. To keep as many ingredients of African origin as possible, he suggests spiking the honey cream with Amarula Cream, an intensely sweet South African liqueur made from the marula fruit—said to be a favorite snack of grazing elephants.
- 2 large, ripe bananas, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Amarula Cream liqueur or Kahlua
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Put the bananas on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, until dark and soft. Let the bananas cool, then open the peel and scoop the roasted banana pulp into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground cloves, freshly grated nutmeg and salt.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the roasted bananas with the sugar until a puree forms. Then beat in the eggs. In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and baking soda, then add to the banana mixture. At low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture. Gently beat in the melted butter, heavy cream and finely grated orange zest. Fold in the macadamia nuts. Spread the batter in the prepared dish and bake for about 1 hour, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool to warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the honey, finely grated lime zest, finely grated orange zest and the liqueur. In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream until softly whipped. Gently fold in the honey-yogurt.
- Cut the cake into squares and serve with dollops of the honey cream.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.