Roasted Asparagus Soup with Crispy Prosciutto
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
A small amount of arborio rice (which gives risotto its trademark creamy texture) thickens this delicious asparagus soup, making it look and taste creamy without all the fat.
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 thin slices of prosciutto
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, or low-sodium broth
- 3 tablespoons arborio rice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, until tender and browned in spots.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°. On a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, arrange the slices of prosciutto and bake for about 10 minutes, until crispy.
- Meanwhile, in an enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the remaining olive oil and cook the onion over moderately high heat until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the roasted asparagus, chicken stock, arborio rice and nutmeg and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook the soup until the rice is very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer the soup to a blender and puree, then return to the casserole. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with shards of the crispy prosciutto.