Roast Pork with Shiitake
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 45 MIN Plus overnight curing
- SERVINGS: 6
For his supremely tender pork shoulder, Greenhouse Tavern chef Jonathon Sawyer marinates the meat overnight, poaches it for eight hours in pork fat, then presses it down under a weight overnight. Then he serves the meat with a mix of three wild mushroomschanterelle, lobster and chickenall sautéed in pork juices and pork fat. The recipe here is considerably simpler: It requires marinating pork overnight before roasting, then pairing the meat with shiitake mushrooms sautéed in olive oil.
- One 3-pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cracked coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Put the pork in a large, resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine the crushed red pepper, cracked black pepper, coriander, sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the mixture to the bag, seal and shake to evenly coat the pork. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Transfer the pork to a small roasting pan and roast for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 185°. Let the pork rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and onion and season lightly with salt. Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring once or twice, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shiitake are tender and browned, about 5 minutes longer. Add the vinegar and cook until nearly evaporated. Stir in the butter and chives and keep warm.
- Slice the pork and serve with the mushrooms.
Rustic, dark fruited Dolcetto d'Alba.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.