- 1/2 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- One 6-pound whole bone-in leg of lamb, excess fat trimmed
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 3/4 cups lightly packed basil
- 1 3/4 cups lightly packed parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
How to make this recipe
- Prepare the lamb In a bowl, whisk the yogurt with the garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, olive oil and 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the lamb and set on a large rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Let the lamb stand at room temperature for 1 hour before roasting.
- Prepare the lamb Preheat the oven to 375°. Season the lamb lightly with salt and pepper and roast for about 1 hour and 50 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 140°. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Make the pesto In a food processor, pulse the basil, parsley, garlic and lemon juice with a pinch of salt until minced. With the machine on, gradually add the olive oil until incorporated. Scrape the pesto into a bowl and stir in the hemp seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Carve the lamb and serve with the pesto and lemon wedges.
The hemp seed pesto can be refrigerated overnight.
Pair with a berry-rich, herb-scented Spanish Garnacha.