Roast Cornish Hens with Focaccia-and-Artichoke Dressing
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 pound plain or onion focaccia, cut into 1/2-inch dice (5 cups)
- 1 cup drained oil-packed baby artichokes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 2 1/2-pound Cornish hens
- Sweet smoked paprika, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium roasting pan, toss the focaccia, artichokes, parsley and thyme with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the hens with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the hens all over with the paprika. Place a roasting rack over the focaccia mixture and set the hens on the rack. Roast the hens for about 1 hour, until the juices run clear when an inner thigh is pierced. Let the hens rest on the rack for 10 minutes.
- Tip the hens to release any juices from the cavities into the pan. Transfer the hens to a carving board. Add the remaining 6 tablespoons of chicken stock to the pan and toss to combine. Using a sharp, heavy knife, cut the hens in half through the breast bone. Spoon the dressing onto plates, set the hen halves on top, breast sides up, and serve.