Roast Chicken with Cranberry-Apple-Raisin Chutney
- ACTIVE: 5 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Cranberries may call the holidays to mind, but this combination tastes great any time of year. You can serve the chutney warm or at room temperature; if there's any left over, use it to light up a chicken, turkey, or ham sandwich.
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice (from about 1 orange)
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 3-inch-long strips orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries (about 3 cups)
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 425°. Rub the chicken cavity with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and put the orange zest inside. Twist the wings of the chicken behind the back and tie the legs together. Put the chicken, breast-side up, in a roasting pan. Coat the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast the chicken until just done, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium stainless-steel saucepan, bring the cranberries to a boil with the apple, raisins, brown sugar, apple juice, vinegar, ginger, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened and the fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, transfer the bird to a plate and leave to rest in a warm spot for about 10 minutes. Pour off the fat from the roasting pan. Set the pan over moderate heat and add the orange juice. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits. Boil until reduced to approximately 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Add any accumulated juices from the chicken and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Serve the chicken with the orange sauce and the chutney.
This sweet, fruit-laden dish is best with a wine that shares these characteristics, such as a slightly chilled bottle of Chinon from the Loire Valley in France or a Dolcetto from Italy.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.