Roast Chicken With Bread Salad
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
For tender roast chicken, dartagnan.com). "There's not much fat and the legs and breasts are nice and meaty," he says.
More Chicken Recipes
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- One 1-pound loaf of sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- In a large glass baking dish, season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Rub the chicken with 2 tablespoons each of the olive oil and lemon juice as well as the 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Spread the bread cubes in a medium roasting pan, then set a rack in the pan. Place the chicken on the rack breast side up and roast for about 20 minutes, until beginning to brown. Turn the chicken and roast breast side down for about 20 minutes, until beginning to brown. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°. Turn the chicken breast side up and roast for about 20 minutes longer, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the toasted bread cubes with the tomatoes and the remaining 5 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Carve the chicken and pour any juices over the bread salad.