- 3/4 pound hot Italian sausages, halved crosswise
- 3 Italian frying peppers or Cubanelles, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into large strips
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- One 4-pound whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Wrap the center pillar of a 10-inch Bundt pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the sausages with all of the peppers, the onions, the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the oregano. Season with salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, the remaining 1 tablespoon of oregano and the lemon zest. Perch the chicken on the pan by inserting the center pillar into the cavity.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 hour, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 155°. Transfer to a board; let rest for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the sausages, peppers, onions and pan juices to a platter. Carve the chicken and arrange on the platter. Serve.
Pair this dish with a juicy Barbera.