- One 3 1/2-pound whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely grated
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced dill
- 4 ounces watercress
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°. Using a small, sharp knife, make a 3/4-inch slit in one side of the excess chicken skin around the cavity; carefully slip the end of the drumstick from the opposite side into the slit. Repeat on the other side with the remaining drumstick.
In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with the sweet paprika, hot paprika, caraway, garlic, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Set the chicken in a small roasting pan and rub all over with the mixture. Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 165°. Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the sour cream with the dill and season with salt and pepper. On a platter, toss the watercress with the lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. </p>
4. Carve the chicken and arrange the pieces on the watercress. Drizzle any pan juices over the chicken and serve right away with the dilled sour cream.
Pair this chicken dish with a ripe, fruit-forward Italian white.