- One 2 3/4-pound free-range chicken
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 small garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bread Salad with Currants and Pine Nuts, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin from the chicken breasts and thighs. Stuff the thyme and garlic under the skin and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle the salt all over the chicken and season with pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Preheat a large cast-iron skillet in the oven for 5 minutes. Put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up, and roast for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken breast side down and roast for about 15 minutes longer, or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced. Transfer the chicken to a board and let rest for 10 minutes; carve.
- Skim the fat from the juices in the skillet. Arrange the Bread Salad with Currants and Pine Nuts on a platter and top with the chicken. Pour the juices over all and serve.
Ripe, rich Sonoma Chardonnay.